SAS veteran Bob Curry who helped free the hostages taken during the 1980 Iranian embassy siege is now living in a B&B because his local council has failed to find him a place to live, he has claimed.
He became penniless after the breakdown of his marriage and the loss of his home following the collapse of his business last year.
Since then he’s been staying on his daughter’s sofa and now the SAS Association are funding his temporary accommodation that he has been in for over a month.
The veteran, who also served in the Falklands, said he felt as “if the society I had fought for all my life had turned its back on me”, adding: “If this can happen to me it can happen to any veteran. And it is happening to veterans all over the country.”
“I was sat in the council offices explaining my life to someone who looked at me as though I was nothing. I hated it but I had no choice.”
Herefordshire County Council said in a statement: “We are continuing to work with the individual to help them secure appropriate housing.”
Sign the petition HERE to urge Herefordshire County Council to find suitable, permanent accommodation for Bob…
Col Richard Kemp, a former commander of British forces in Afghanistan, said: “He should go to the front of the queue for council housing right now.”
“He’s risked his life for this country — given a huge amount to defending her citizens.”
Mr Curry joined the Army aged 15 in 1968, and joined the SAS 11 years later in 1979, where he served for six years.
He was part of the elite troops who stormed the Iranian Embassy in London in 1980 to free hostages being held by terrorists – setting the bench mark for special forces units worldwide.
Former sergeant Trevor Coult, who was awarded the Military Cross in 2006 for his bravery in Afghanistan said:
“It is a disgrace this veteran is not being looked after. If we can’t sort out these veterans in Hereford, where they lived, then what hope is there for other heroes?”
I am really annoyed, can anyone help me, there is currently an Ex- SAS soldier in his 60s who took part in the Iranian Embassy assault being put up in a B&B which the SAS are paying for as the council will not give him a home! Please RT this and help him pic.twitter.com/FXgIjuQfGq
— Trevor Coult MC (@TrevorCoultMC) January 17, 2018
It was the first time the SAS had been deployed on UK soil and was ordered by home secretary William Whitelaw on the sixth day of the siege after the terrorists had shot dead a member of staff before dumping his body outside the embassy.
Known to mates as “Backdoor Bob”, he bravely stormed the rear of the building while comrades abseiled from the balcony in iconic TV images seen by millions around the world.
A total of 19 hostages were rescued; one of the hostages died, as did five of the gunmen.
What do you think? Leave your comments below….